Thursday, August 27, 2009

Birds are done. End age...10 weeks

I didn't even keep any like I had planned. I was going to but they were just so weak in the legs I didn't want to try it and have them in pain and picked on by the others so I took them all. I got bit (the crowing roo got me good) and scratched but I managed to get them all in the cages one by one. Taking their food away 12 hours before helped becasue they were easy to catch.

We took them in yesterday. Lost one in transit, we know now that two cages about 1 1/2 foot by about 3 foot are not big enough. One was trampled on :( We feel really bad about that since it was needless and just went to waste. When we got there it went in a pile with another bird that had not made the trip from another flock that was brought in.

A guy who was there told us that we should get cornish cross next time becasue they are plumper. We told him we were aware of that but we wanted "free" range birds who ate grass not just laid around. He said well move your cage around and they have no choice but to eat the grass. Ummmm...no, we want FREE range "ya know, birds that are FREE and can run around on 20 acres if they like" Not free range as in caged in a small cage and sitting in the grass. That to us is NOT free range but that's what they consider free range. It's a sad thing when people can label eggs and such as free range and THIS is what is considered free range. He told us any animal able to get to grass is considered free range no matter if it is caged or not.

Well he thought our birds were "small" Most were 6-7 lbs and that to me was quite large. There was a lot of fat and nice meat on those bones so we were very pleased with it. We let is sit in the fridge to rest last night and today and tonight I will transfer all of it to the freezer with the exception of one pack which I will stick in some brine and let soak for tomorrows meal. I have to say it's going to be very strange eating these chickens but I'm curious of the taste.

I'm tallying up all the totals for everything tonight and will post in an end post either tonight or tomorrow. Oh and I will let you know what we think of the taste of them also compared to store chicken which is pumped up with all sorts of chemicals and salt water before they are brought to sell at the store.

Their end weight at exactly 10 weeks old was Roos=6.5-8 lbs and hens=4.5-6.5

1 comment:

  1. Hey there Carrie. I was just thinking about that how people can call birds free range just if they are allowed on grass. Thanks for sharing. Too bad the one didnt make it. Kris

    ReplyDelete