Monday, August 10, 2009

loving it outdoors!

Our meaties are loving it outdoors...they go in on their own now as long as we have the underside to the coop closed off where they cannot hide under there. They have been loving their freedom and eating lots of grass and lounging in the grass. I have noticed thought that they are not the best of runners. The larger roos have trouble with their legs. Not so weak that they cannot get around but not like the egg layers for sure. They have almost what looks to be a limp or something like that. They all still seem happy and content in the shaded grass. Just eating away! We went through yet another 50# bag and almost then next one since I posted. I have to go back and add up all the feed to get an estimated cost. Of course were not comparing cost to the store bought "roundy's" brands we are comparing to the grass fed organic brand chicken. No loses yet but we have some pretty cute girls going on. I'm still undecided if I want to keep a few or not seeing we are selling off our old flock next spring and the two black hens that were sharing their domain are now in with the bantams for the winter. I may not want to add any to the large flock because they will only be picked on and I will go crazy about that. And then try to place them some place else for the winter and hubby will NOT like that LOL. They can't stay in their current coop as it is not insulated and the winters here are crazy cold. I will think on that one.

ETA: Their weight is over 5 lbs now but will get an exact weight of one of our larger roos on Wed when I have the day off work.

No comments:

Post a Comment