Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Some growth

Well the meatiest of the freedom Rangers are just under 5 lbs now. We are planning on bringing them to the butchers at about 10-11 weeks old. That date is coming up. They are seven weeks old on Wednesday this week. So by August 26th they will be ready for the butcher. I'm wondering what the weights will be by that time. They have been gaining steady and now that they have unlimited food they will most likely be putting on more weight. I was taking the food away at night while they were young. Now I just let them have free eating rights. We did try to let them out to free range a few times and the first time was a disaster! They hid under the coop and it was close to impossible to catch them. We ended up using a fishing net and an hour later we finally caught the ONLY FOUR that come out LOL They are MUCH faster then my big fat laying hens I can tell ya that. Who ever said meat chickens were slow and lazy were NOT correct HAHA.
The next time we let them out we blocked the under side of the coop so they could not hide under it. It worked much better. We still had to chase them a little...most did not go in on their own...but when we left the big door open they would get scared enough to go back in on their own. Wasn't to bad. So on the days that I am home we will let them out to free range to get them some nice vitamins before we butcher. We went through another 50 lb bag of food and on a new one now. I believe this is the sixth bag? I have to look back but on my last entry for THIS set of birds I will add the totals of everything...food, weight, length of time, and dressed weight when we get them back.

No comments:

Post a Comment