Monday, July 27, 2009

Home from our trip

Well we just got home last night and I tell you what! The meat birds were HUGE, just over 5 days they grew like crazy. I weighed some of them and they are weighing in at 3 and 1/2 lbs now! I got them a 30 lb feeder as well so we don't have to keep going out there three times a day. I also tried letting them out to forage and they did NOT go back in their coop at dark. I was hoping they would and that we would be able to let them out to forage every day. I'm not finding myself thrilled about chasing around 28 meat chickens every night before bed to get them back in their coop. Thank goodness only FOUR came out to investigate. They were in their coop for over two weeks so I was thinking it would work. Maybe meaties are different then regular hens? Maybe we can block off the under side of the coop so they can't hide under it. We went through two more bags of feed each at 50 lbs. So far we are at 200 lbs of feed. The last of the bag is in their 30 lb feeder and it is about 1/2 full yet. I think we are going through about 50 #s a week right now. Will prob be more later. We were hoping to lesson that amount with getting them out to range but it may not happen now.

No comments:

Post a Comment