Saturday, August 15, 2009

Quick update

One of our roos is now 6 1/2 lbs. By the end of the two weeks they should be reaching close to 7 1/2 or 8 lbs which is good I think. They are still free ranging and loving it. We went through another 50 lb bag of feed and I have added another bag of pine shavings to their coop. It was starting to smell pretty bad. I was hoping that I would not have to add any but yup, really needed to. I could smell a tiny hint of ammonia which is not good for us or them. Now it smells nice and fresh to pine. The funny thing is they are beginning to roam pretty far and mingle with my laying hens. When my 83 yr old dad walks down to the coop they all follow him back up to the garage. Pretty funny watching a little ol man with 37 chickens following him! LOL 12 of them being my laying hens who always follow everyone around. We have found our place of slaughter and we are making the apt on Monday. Still undecided if I want to keep 2 or 3 of them. There is two that I have really got attached to. UGH it gets harder the closer to slaughter it gets :( Poor babies! I have to remember they had a great life here and they will have ONE bad day in their lives. And the journey continues....

No comments:

Post a Comment