Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Heat lamp/ feeding amounts/ONE week old!

There heat lamp was kept off last night and they were all just fine. Running around like crazy today. One thing I noticed is that they enjoy cold water vs warm. We refresh their water 2 - 3 times a day for them. They are starting to get a little smelly in our garage so I will be changing out their pine shavings tomorrow. I hadn't noticed a smell before this (not bad for having 28 1 week old chicks in a large box) The two older ones have now taught all the little runts to scratch pine shavings in their water so I put the water on a few boards for height. Working better but they still manage to get some in there.
Soon we will be upgrading their waterer to a large one (5 gallon possibly). Haven't lost any at all and they all seem very healthy :D They are also starting to dust bathe TOO CUTE!

Weight of the one I have been weighing went from 2.8oz to 3.0 Seems the first day was a huge jump compared to these smaller jumps. I weighed many of the other ones and the runt weighed in at 2.3 oz and the largest ones are weighing in at 3.0 oz. I weigh them about noon or so when I weigh them just so it's the same time. The colors on these guys are looking beautiful. So many varieties! At least they will be fun to look at these next few weeks.

Another change: We are now putting the feed in our larger coffee containers so we have more ground up. We had been putting a little feed in the smaller container and used a mallet to crunch up the pellets into crubble form. Very time consuming so I went up to the kitchen to try to find a faster less messy way so I put a bunch in a heavy freezer zip lock bag and tried the rolling pin. UMM Don't do that! LOL It made a mess and I had feed dust all over the table. I ended up using the blender and it worked wonderfully. So now that we can grind more at time I'm putting it in a larger container. I will weigh it so we can keep track of the amount of feed they consume in their lifetime of 10 weeks. So far they have eaten 4 lb 6.8 oz X 2 Now we are putting it in the larger 4 lb coffee container so I will weigh that tomorrow.
I said yesterday to hubby "I wish we had all roosters so we could butcher all 25 of them" LOL He says...oh there ARE going to be 25 chickens going to the processor in 10 weeks. BUT we have 26... SHHH I don't think he remembered that part MWAHAHAHAHAHA We ordered 25 and they sent an extra. NOW I need help picking the lucky girl :D I DO have pics from when we got them and I am going to take more tomorrow and someday get them posted! I promise! You all can vote once I know which ones are hens. I'm not keeping no rooster that's for sure! OH and there is a poll at the bottom of the page so fill that out if your a reader! You don't have to have a journal to poll or to comment so PLEASE feel free to do so! :D I LOVE comments!

3 comments:

  1. Mine are 3 wks today. I weighed a few of them this morning, and the roos weighed 1lb 4oz, the girls 1lb.They had exactly doubled from last week.There are a couple girls I am thinking about keeping too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Onegsp...thanks for the comment. Do you have a journal here? If so send me a link please. I would love to keep an eye out. I tried clicking on your name but nothing showed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I don't have a journal, but I am knittychickadee on BYC . I have a page on my rangers(it's sparse right now) simply called 'colored rangers' if you want to look it up there. I've been putting a weekly pic up.

    ReplyDelete