Thursday, June 25, 2009

weigh in again

WOOT! I got myself another follower! WELCOME!

Well I took the same bird and weighed him/her at noon and today it went from 3.0 oz to 4.0 oz. It's crazy how fast they are gaining. Next time I have egg laying chicks I'm going to do the same. I curious exactly how much faster they grow compared to egg layer chicks. Took some more pictures today too. I'm going to go back and post the correct pics per time frame in my last entries when I finally get them uploaded. My camera is full so I have to get them off there to take anymore! LOL They have almost went through the full coffee container of food ...by tonight they will have. Filled that one up yesterday at noon! Good thing I found an easier way to blend the food up!

And see the two black ones...those are the two I added a few days after we got the meaties...they are just standard laying hen chicks that we will be keeping IF they are hens.

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. I have some dual purpose chicks that are 5 days older then my ranger chicks. When the rangers were a week and 2 days, they had caught up and weighed the same as the other older chicks (I've only been weighing the roos of the other chicks , since I'm raising them for meat too). This week when the rangers were 3 weeks and weighed a lb and a lb 4 oz, my 3 wk 5 day White Rock boys were 10 0z each, and my Buff Rock, Barred Rock and Speckled Sussex boys each weighed 8 oz a piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you are venturing further than I can go. You know that about me though. I am by no means vegetarian, but I can't eat my chickens, and I know I couldnt do it even if they were raised for that. Its not really cost effective anyway. After all the feed they go through, and buying the chicks, I don't know if its worth it. I have never tried chickens off the farm like that, but I have heard from locals around here that have, and they say they can't really tell the difference in the taste from a store bought one. Beef is another story though, I can attest to that. We have neighbors that raise cattle for meat, and they are good eating. ;) Glad to see you stop on by my journal, are you facebooking? I am hooked on facebook, love it. I don't have a lot of computer time right now though, its just that time of year. Time to get outside and enjoy things...it will be cold again all too soon. I will try and keep up here and I am curious to know how this is going to go. Especially since you have named a few of them already. ;) XOXO Hugs, Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWW Darn it Kelly! I KNOW~! I guess we will find out if we can do it or not :( They are just the cutest things...I"m wishing I had gotten the old cornish X now...I hear they are ugly!

    Onegsp...Isn't it just amazing the weight these ones can put on. At what age could you start noticing roos? I wish they were all roos! It would be so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. About 2 weeks old the boys wattles started showing, and they just have a different look than the girls. The boys also started fighting more than the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Onegsp...thanks for that info. I know to start keeping an eye out for that. I don't see any red as of yet but won't be long cuz they are almost 2 weeks old :D

    ReplyDelete