Monday, June 22, 2009

Meat chickens are here a whole day and....

They already doubled in weight :0 I weighed most in at 1.3 oz and now they are weighing in at 2.3 oz. They are working on their second lg coffee container of crushed pellets (Purina grower with 20% protein). They are running around like crazy in the large watermelon box I got for them at the grocery store (we just added a plywood floor and whala...a brooder! FOR FREE! What I can't believe is that they sleep under the heat lamp even though its been so hot out. WHEW! It's a really good thing that they all look pretty much alike becasue I would have them all named already as I do my laying hens. I don't know...this just may not be for me. When butcher time comes and the only ones I send off are the males, then we know! I will keep you informed on the weight growth and we are weighing all the food so we know how many pounds of food it takes to raise 25 meat chickens. AND I have my first follower! WELCOME TO MY JOURNAL! And thanks for following along :D OH I did get pictures but have not uploaded them yet. Will hopefully tonight.

I also added chicks to the meaties! I had two chicks that my silkie was brooding and they are about a month old now. I decided to add them to the other chicks so they have a coop this summer. I want them bigger and older when I add them to the hen house for layers (IF they are girls) pretty sure they are. This way they have friends for a few weeks and they have time to grow up. They won't be able to stay with mom that much longer anyhow. Should be interesting. They are all getting along great. Mother hen isn't so great...she is looking for them but she is starting to calm down now :( I feel bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment